I just made today another jar of what my kids affectionately call “Mom’s Concoction”. The things I do……..
I started doing this several years ago with maple syrup and essential oils and we found that it worked pretty well to fight off the colds, sore throats and runny noses.
Lately I have been using a good, raw honey, some hot water and whatever essential oils I need for the symptoms. This time I used a few drops of Lemon, a few drops of Thieves, a couple drops of Oregano (its really strong!) and a few drops of Melrose. I just fill a little medicine cup- you know, the ones that come with cough syrup- and drink it down several times a day. You do not have to reheat it each time, just give it a good shake to remix the oils.
I have been using essential oils now for about 20 years for all sorts of things but I still tend to use them mostly for colds and such. Here are some of my favorite uses:
- Peppermint or Lemon oil drops in my water bottle. You should probably just use glass for this. The oils can cause plastic to leach into your water, and ruin the plastic over time.
- Purification, Lemon, or Lavender in baking soda. This you can add to your smelly laundry for a great natural deodorizer or just put into a glass jar with a closed top for a room freshener. Poke a few holes to let the scent to escape and shake every once in a while to stir up the scent. When there is no scent any longer, just add a few more drops.
- The same 3 oils dripped on a clean washcloth or towel tossed in the dryer with your wet laundry to add a nice scent to your wash. Better than the chemical fabric softener scent!
- Lately I have been making a vinegar and orange peel cleaner. It works pretty good as vinegar is a great cleaner anyways and add the citrus from the orange peel and you have a winning combination!! I add some drops of Thieves oil to add to the cleaning power.
- One of my kids has been having a little trouble sleeping. I drop a couple drops of Peace and Calming on her hand and rub a little on the bottoms of her feet. She cups her hands over her mouth and inhales it. She can then calm down enough to sleep well.
I like to know what I am using so I have been getting them from Young Living. I know they are therapeutic grade and high quality. If your oil says “do not take internally” its a good indication that its been mixed with something that you really don’t want. All of these oils can be found on my Young Living webpage. Just click on the link on the right side of this page.
I am hosting my first ever oils workshop at my home on November 1st. If you are able, nearby, and interested, feel free to contact me to come and join us. I would love to have you!