I attempted a writers challenge that Daleenc over at “Thoughts From a Christian Cowgirl”. Thanks so much for nominating me for this! It was a fun challenge and got me to try something a little bit different. She gave me a prompt and I was to follow some rules. I followed them mostly.. (always I have to break at least one rule! Says that inner critic of mine!!)
Now I have to nominate at least 5 other blogs to try the same thing. For that, I think I will say, if you want to try it, go for it. I won’t actually name 5, but please let me know that you want to try it, and send me a link so I can see what you did. (Rules, shmooles…..)
Here are the guidelines, which I will not change. (until you get to the end of number 8 where you will notice a little change.)
1. Open a blank Document
2. Set a stop watch or your mobile phone timer to 5 or 10 minutes, whichever challenge you prefer.
3. Your topic is at the foot of this post BUT DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH YOUR TIMER!!!
4. Once you start writing do not stop until the alarm sounds!
5. Do not cheat by going back and correcting spelling and grammar using spell check (it is only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought flow and for you to reflect on your ability to write with correct spelling and grammar.)
6. You may or may not pay attention to punctuation or capitals.
7. At the end of your post write down ‘No. of words = ____” to give an idea of how much you can write within the time frame.
8. Do not forget to copy paste the entire passage on your blog post with a new topic for your nominees and copy paste these rules with your nomination (at least five (5) bloggers).
I did the 10 minute challenge, no of words: 257.
How she hated that name. Why must people call her that anyway she wasn’t really red headed? Just KINda red headed. What do they care anyways?
They didn’t really like her all that much. Said she was not worth much. Said she wouldn’t even be able to hoe the whole row. She had done it, but it didn’t seem to change much.
She tried to grow muscles and get bigger. She ran every day to and from the fields. She climbed and pulled herself up into the trees, always picking the hardest ones to get up into. She tried to eat all her food, but sometimes, well.. There really wasn’t much to eat and if she ate all she could, then Mama wouldn’t eat. She had noticed that.
Her Momma…. She smiled when she thought about her Momma. She was so tired looking lately. Her eyes were sadder. She wondered why but wouldn’t ask her. She knew better than to let her Momma know she was worried.
She wished she knew where her Poppa was. He had left some time ago and they hadn’t heard from him since. At least she had known her Poppa for a while. The others didn’t seem to know who their Poppa’s were. She knew Momma worried about him. She loved him. More than she had loved any other Master had given her. Well, truth be told, she knew the others had not loved her Momma nor had her Momma loved them. She just was doing what the Master had ordered.
Thanks for taking the time to read through this. If you are interested, I will put your word down a few lines. I don’t want you to read it until you are ready to try the challenge. When you are ready, set your timer for 5 or 10 minutes, whichever you prefer, look at the word I give you, and then start writing.