It is Ridiculously cold outside. -8 degrees and wind chills of -31. And 2 of my boys are heading outside to do some car thing. The animals will need to be fed, but otherwise… We can snuggle up inside. With cups of hot chocolate or tea. And blankets.
- Still do whatever is needed to be done. There is no school cancellations or delay because of cold. We still need to feed the animals. We still, some of us, go off to work. We still get the laundry done.
- Schoolwork. It’s still Monday and a school day. We can snuggle up under our blankets with cups of hot chocolate or tea and get a good school day in.
- Until we have to leave for the afternoon’s activities. Life does still go on around here.
- If we didn’t have to go anywhere, well then, the house would get cleaned. But that would get done if it was warmer outside too. Because we need to. I am kinda picky about that.
- If we didn’t have to clean we might watch some educational movies or Youtube videos.
- When the kids were younger, we might play “snow day” and do some snow day crafts or activities.
- Lay a huge sheet on the floor, get out scissors and printer paper and cut out snowflakes. Let the sheet catch all the snibbles and then dump it into the recycling bin. If you haven’t done this before, here is a site that will give you some instructions.
- Watch this fun “Make a Flake” video
- Read “The Snowy Day” by Ezra Jack Keats or watch this video.
- Make up a batch of play dough and create snowmen with the dough.
- Recipe: 1/2 c. salt
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. water
- 1TBSP oil
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Heat on the stove until mixture thickens like mashed potatoes. Then turn out on the counter and finish kneading. Let it cool a little bit before you do that. Then, give each kid a piece and let them play with the still warm dough. You can add food coloring if you like.
- Make a fort out of blankets and sheets and pillows. Lay around reading and playing.
- Clean out that game cabinet/closet that keeps getting piled full of games just shoved back in after being played. Put together all those puzzles that we found the pieces for. Play a few of the games.
- Bake some bread. Make some cinnamon rolls- YUM!
- Make homemade hot chocolate. Here is an easy recipe and delicious:
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 c. milk
- stir together the sugar and cocoa powder. Add 1/4 c. milk and bring to a low boil over med-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1-2 min until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is slightly thick. Stir in remaining milk and heat through.
Enjoy your day! I hope it is not cold where you are.
What do you do on “snow” days? Or “Too Cold” days??