If we haven’t been busy, its been raining. You would think I would have LOTS of blog posts written, but most of you have noticed a distinct lack of posts for a couple of weeks now.
Or maybe you haven’t. I am not really that noticeable I guess.
Quick update: the other thing I have been working on, diligently- thanks to all the rainy days- is my illustrations for my book. I should have it all submitted to the publishing company by next week!! So exciting!!! I will post a sneak peak here when I submit it.
There have been some changes around here. Again. First, we bought a Maremme Puppy. She is a livestock guardian dog and the sweetest little thing!! Her name is “Meila” pronounced like “Sheila”. It means “honey” in Italian, which is where her breed originated. She is learning the ropes, and so far, Barney is in LOVE!!
We have been working on changing the fencing a bit to accommodate the turkeys that have discovered the neighbors house and really like hanging out down there!
Well, that and we needed to change the fencing to keep Meila contained a little bit. Especially while she is little and in training. She needs to also get used to all the birds. She wasn’t sure about the turkeys.
Yesterday we finally had a nice day to work on that fencing and some other projects that have been sitting and waiting for us to have some time.
First was finishing up the fencing and getting all the way around the pasture. I wasn’t happy with the expense of it, but we needed to do something if we were going to keep the turkeys over winter and have more next year.
Today they seem pretty contented to be out there.
We built Meila a kennel and shelter in the shelter we have for the horses. She does not like being alone out there, but Barney is doing his best to stay near her and give her company. I don’t want to leave her alone out there yet, because she is too likely to be chasing the birds and Barney, in his exuberance, just might trample her!!
We moved some hay over here from where we store it in a neighbors barn. THANK GOD for Good friends who let us store hay in their barn!! I have been waiting for days to be able to do that!! Luckily we still had a few bales here to get us through.
To keep the birds contained, we had to reconfigure some of our existing fencing. We are getting to be fencing “experts”!!
We took a panel off our garden fence and put a door in the run of the chicken coop. Then, we installed the taller fencing from the run down to the pasture fence making a nice path for the birds to take into the pasture. Previously, we would just open the garden door or the run door and let them go wherever. Now, they should remain contained, mostly, and keep to the pasture. They will have an acre and a half or so to play in, which should be enough to keep them occupied.
It felt so good to get so much done yesterday on a beautiful, sunny fall day!
Thanks for reading!